Monday, May 14, 2007

Holy Discontent

A new book by Bill Hybels, "Holy Discontent," talks about the kind of thing that has happened to me. He says that many people who give themselves to causes do so because they have had a "firestorm moment," an experience in which they realize that they simply can't stand to watch things go on as they are. He encourages all of us to look for such moments:

I think you constantly should be on the lookout for that one cause or purpose or problem that grabs you by the throat and just won't let go. Your "one thing" is the stirring situation that causes so much damage to your own soul that it brings you to ... a place where you feel you simply must do something. Your "one thing" births a burning-bush experience in your soul where you sense God himself inviting you into an intentional and personalized partnership with him to renovate reality.

I think it is cool that this book would show up just when I'm going through this process of trying to find some direction for taking real action. I started reading the book today; I'll let you know if it brings some good insights.

Work has been busy lately, and for the next few days I might not get a chance to post very often. But I'm building a good list of contacts, and I'm anxious to see where all this goes.

No comments: